Welcome to Chicago!
An Introduction With Links to the Windy City
Chicago's skyline as seen from one of the city's greatest treasures, Wrigely Field.
By Chicago Native Coleen Nielsen
Chicago is known to most people as the place of Al Capone, the Cubs, Bears, Michael Jordan and the six-time World Champion Bulls – yes, it's a huge sports town – the original Mayor Daley, the home of President Barack Obama and windy weather.
But Chicago is also one of the most culturally diverse and fun cities in the country. It's where you can find find a line of a hundred people dressed in club clothes waiting for an hour to get into one of the trendiest new bars when it is 5 degrees below zero in January!
Here are things which are uniquely Chicago: Wrigley Field, Lake Shore Drive, 16-inch softball, Navy Pier, Italian beef sandwiches and deep dish pizza. Yet these are just a few of the items that make up Chicago's culture.
Chicago is also a PubClubber's dream come true. It has great sports bars, beer gardens, dance clubs, strip clubs and celebrity hangouts – sometimes all within the same block. PubClub has divided the bar scene into the following four fun areas:
• The Gold Coast/Rush-Division, where the hip and trendy go be seen.
• Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville, where the Generation X crowd goes to groove and where Cubs fans go to talk about how good the team is going to be next year.
• The Loop/West Loop, the business district, the best place for after-work drinks and home to Chicago's best Blues club.
• The Suburbs. The quintessential Chicago suburbia experience, where minivans and fun happily coexist with each other
And there's these other features, as well!
• The Best in Chicago. The best places to have drinks in the city from Happy Hour to the Best Place to Hang With Al Capone.
• A Local's Chicago Blog. What's is really like in the Windy City? Find out from this life-long local.
• Chicago Visitor's Guide. Everything you need to know to get orientated so you can go out and enjoy Chicago. Know before you go right here!
• Chicago's Famous Food Places. Where to get the best deep-dish pizza, ribs and Italian beef sandwiches.
So throw out those tourist books and learn about the real Chicago.