Pre-Pandemic Seasonality Trends Return
ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#arcdata–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing U.S. travel agency air ticket sales totaled $8.4 billion in February 2023, a 54% year-over-year increase from February 2022.* The February 2023 results represent the second-highest post-pandemic monthly sales total, behind May 2022.
Total passenger trips settled by ARC in February 2023 increased 13% year over year to 22.3 million. International trips increased 29% while domestic trips increased 4% over the same period. The average U.S. round-trip air travel ticket price was $571 in February, a 23% increase from the previous year ($464) and an 8% month-over-month increase from January ($528).
Month over month, February 2023 results showed:
- Total sales were flat.
- Total passenger trips decreased 7%.
- U.S. domestic trips decreased 9%.
- International trips decreased 3%.
“Despite flat sales and decreases in passenger trips month over month, overall demand remains stronger than what we saw last year with international travel showing continued strength,” said Steve Solomon, chief commercial officer at ARC. “February followed pre-pandemic seasonality trends, which could indicate further industry normalization as airlines prepare for the busy spring and summer travel months.”
Ancillary sales increased 134% year over year to $21,777,658. Ancillary transactions increased 84% to 325,093 over the same period.**
More detailed information is available on ARC’s sales statistics page.
ARC accelerates the growth of global air travel by delivering forward-looking travel data, flexible distribution services and other innovative industry solutions. We are a leading travel intelligence company that possesses the world’s largest, most comprehensive global airline ticket dataset, including more than 15 billion passenger flights representing 490 airlines and 230 countries and territories. Our solutions and expertise strengthen economies and enrich lives by connecting stakeholders across the travel ecosystem. For more information, visit arccorp.com.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending February 28, 2023, from 10,485 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked bags, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
© Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.