By Kevin Wilkerson, PubClub.com Los Angeles Blogger
The song is right. L.A. is one great big freeway.
And yes, we do Luv L.A.
Southern California is the land of eternal sunshine, wide beaches, thin celebrities and places so famous they have an identity all to themselves: the Hollywood sign, Mann’s Chinese Theater, Dodger Stadium and Muscle Beach.
This is also a very large area. L.A. is more spaced out than Britney Spears. Traveling form one end to the other of the Greater Los Angeles basin –encompassing L.A. and Orange Counties – is a 90-minute journey. And that’s if the freeways are clear.
This variety, in both lifestyle and landscape, is one of Los Angeles’ most remarkable attributes. Hollywood, for example, is so culturally removed from Manhattan Beach that the two areas may as well be in different countries.
For visitors, what appeals to one soul may not interest another. PubClub has divided the city into different areas, focusing on individual attributes and nightlife. What goes for one place does not necessarily apply to another. Each has its own qualities and to truly appreciate Los Angeles and its many Los Angeles bars one must understand the differences. You, too, can Luv L.A.!
• Hollywood. Visit some of L.A.’s hottest and most unusual clubs.
• Hermosa Beach. Party where people who never mentally graduated from college go to party in L.A., and its crazy events like Smackfest.
• Manhattan Beach. Where the young and beautiful get wild and crazy.
• Santa Monica/Westside. Peek inside L.A.’s most diverse pub and club scene.
• Sunset Strip/Beverly Hills. Hear the next hot band, go to LA’s legendary live music bars or see a celebrity (maybe).
• Catalina Island. So far and yet so near, including Avalon, a Mediterranean paradise you reach by taking a ferryl.
• Big-time events like the 500,000 person WeHo Halloween block party!
PubClub.com’s Guide to Los Angeles:
• Start here for the Best of L.A.
• To see all of the city, ride the “Party Bus” by clicking on the various links on this page. It’s a lot more reliable than those “maps of the stars homes” people sell around town and you won’t get stuck in LA freeway traffic.
• In PreParty, learn the vital information necessary to navigate this real-life movie set.
• Get a first-person perspective from The Bartender, our man about town.
• Learn all about “California Cuisine” and legendary places to eat – perhaps sit in the same booth as some of Hollywood’s biggest celebrities – in our Restaurant and Dining Guide.
Step aboard the Party Bus – the next stop is your get-to-know Los Angeles guide!
PubClub.com covers nightlife, bars, festivals and party events around the world. I lived in Los Angeles for several years and this post provides a local’s perspective of L.A.