Things to Do The First Weekend In May In L.A.
Welcome to the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report! This is a big one, with both Cinco de Mayo and a slew of Kentucky Derby parties crossing the finish line 1-2.
The Party Report is brought to you by Kona Brewing Company, which many not what you necessarily think of drinking for Cinco and the Derby – cervezas and Mint Juleps, right!? – but any event is the right time for great beer! If you go to either of the Shade parties, you can get Kona on draft.
THURSDAY MAY 4 EVENTS IN LOS ANGELES
• #TheNightlifeChat – Get an early start to the Kentucky Derby by going onto Twitter at 4:30 and joining in on #TheNightlifeChat! We’ll be discussing all things Derby with bloggers and social media influencers around the country. Here are the questions in advance:
• 310 YP Mixer – This free first-Thursday-of-the-month mixer takes place at Shade Hotel in Redondo Beach. 6-10 p.m.
• Free Swing & Jazz On The Queen Mary – If you like this kind of music and have always wanted to go to the Queen Mary, then this is your night. There’s a free concert taking place that includes getting onto this historic ship, LA’s most under-recognized landmark. Here’s details.
FRIDAY MAY 5 EVENTS IN LOS ANGELES
• Cinco de Mayo! – I remember when I first moved here a friend kept talking about this thing called Cinco de Mayo. Our conversations went kind of like that “Who’s On First” baseball routine. Me: “Cool when it it?” Friend: “Cinco de Mayo.” Me: “Okay, that’s the name of the event but when is it?” Friend: “Cinco de Mayo!” Anyway, we eventually went to the original Sharkeez and then Pancho’s and I began to understand it. Pancho’s is the happening place to be but it’s tiny so if you go try and be there before 6. If you’re late, try after 10 when the people who got there before 6 are ready to pass out – are stumbling toward El Tarasco!
• Joe’s Band & Soul Shaker At Saint Rocke – It’s a full night of music here with these two bands, plus dueling pianos. Starts at 6:30 and the cover is $10.
• Barley at Standing Room – More local music fills the South Bay as Barley is playing at the Standing Room.
• The Neptunas At Hermosa Saloon – This band hasn’t played in the South Bay since the days of Toe’s Tavern (and remember The Fox at Toes!)? Actually four bands are playing at this Hermosa dive bar on 2nd and PCH and they are calling it Cinco de Punko.
• Silvio’s Taco Eating Contest – For the first 10 people to sign up starting at 6 p.m., to see how many tacos you can eat in three minutes. For everyone else, 3 tacos are $10.
SATURDAY MAY 6 EVENTS IN LOS ANGELES
• Kentucky Derby Parties In The South Bay And L.A. – I remember just a few years ago when I told a group of friends on the first Saturday of May that “hey, it’s Kentucky Derby Day!” The reaction was a resounding “yeah, what of it.” Well now, all of a sudden, the Derby is a thing here, a party! In fact it’s several parties! Thee’s a big bash at Manhattan Country Club, parties at both Shade hotels, an event at Santa Anita that includes a craft beer festival and even a kind of high-end bar crawl in Santa Monica. Here’s all the events happening in the South Bay and L.A. for Derby Day!
As for what it’s like at the actual Derby, well the infield has been reported to PubClub as being “absolute chaos.” One year I dispatched a photographer and two Midwestern PubClubettes, Daniella and Kaylie, to the event and WHOA! Also “Derby Dee” from here in LA is a Kentucky native and likes to take the more refined approach to the Derby. Then there’s good friend Tingley, a Louisville native who often supplies PubClub with first-hand reports from the scene. Check out all the PubClub posts on the Derby because if you can’t be there, then you should be here on this web page:
• Barley at the Lighthouse – After the Derby parties end, then continue your partying at the Lighthouse as the band Barley plays its regular first-Saturday-of-the-month gig here. No cover.
• Cinco de Drinko Beach Volleyball Tournament – 33 North Productions is holding its annual Cinco de Drinko coed 4s tournament (to get you all primed for the Derby parties!) with all-day food & drink specials at Sharkeez. Sign up here:
• LA Taco & Beer Festival – Tacos and beer! It’s held at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood from 2-5 p.m. Tickets are $50 for GA, $70 for VIP and are at: www.latacobeerfest.com
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY MAY 5-6 EVENTS IN LOS ANGELES
• Scuba Show – This weekend is also the Scuba Show in Long Beach. It has door prizes, scuba gear and gifts. Here’s diets and ticket prices and information:
NEXT SATURDAY BEER & WINE FESTIVAL
• Don’t forget that next Saturday is the Beach Cities Beer & Wine Festival. As of this typing, about a handful of tickets remain so get them here and get them now. And note that Smackfest registration starts two days later on the 15th – first to sign up get the best courts!
That’s it for the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report. For this and more, go to PubClub.com, Where The South Bay – And The World! – Goes To Party!!!
Twitter Chat: #TheNightlifeChat, Thursdays, 4:30 p.m. PT
Leave a Reply