Fiesta Hermosa & UCLA-Texas A&M Highlight Best Things To Do In L.A.
Labor Day Weekend in Los Angeles means the end of our endless summer, well sort of anyway. The weather is pretty much the same but there’s a different feel in the air as students go back to school and people start to think about things like the distant holidays and NFL and college football.
It also means an arts, music and beer festival in Hermosa Beach, and that leads off this week’s rundown in this edition of the PubClub.com Party Report.
Fiesta Hermosa 2017 Hermosa Beach Labor Day Weekend
For three days – Saturday, Sunday and Monday – the Hermosa Beach Pier Plaza is full of the sounds of live music and the buzz of people in a carnival atmosphere. This free festival features bands on a stage at the pier as well as more bands playing simultaneously in beer and wine garden behind the restaurants and bars.
Additionally, there are seemingly hundreds of arts and craft booths lined up on Pier Ave., and Hermosa Ave., as well as a food court. Most of the bands are tribute and cover bands, tho two local Hermosa Beach bands – Barley and Phoenix Rising – are also on stage this Labor Day Weekend. There’s usually a line to get into the beer garden but it moves pretty fast, and it’s at its longest later in the afternoon.
The bands start at 11 on the pier and go until 6:30 in the beer garden.
Fleet Week In Los Angeles
This is a free event in San Pedro, military ships docked here for Labor Day Weekend. There are guided ship tours, military demonstrations, live entertainment and aerial demonstrations. The schedule Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
LA County Fair On Labor Day Weekend
The LA County Fair opens on Sept. 1, and it runs thru Sept. 24. It’s super-crowded on Labor Day Weekend (careful or you’ll get run over by one of those massive three- and four-kid strollers!). For PubClubbers such as yourself, the real attractions are the concerts; the 52 beer stations (yes 52) and the craft beer, wine and spirits marketplace. The best bar is the Longboard (Lager) bar, which has the most lively crowd and a fun rock cover band on weekend nights.
College Football Labor Day Games
• Western Michigan at USC, Coliseum, Saturday 2:30 p.m.
The Trojans, with a pre-season #4 national ranking, take on the lower-tier Broncos, who have lost their previously highly successful coach P.J. Fleck. More entertaining than the game could be the tailgate party. Be sure and line up in front of Tommy Trojan two hours before kickoff as the Song Girls and band march through campus on their way to the stadium. After the game, make your way to the student section as the Song Girls and band perform in a celebration of the day’s events.
• Texas A&M at UCLA, Rose Bowl, Sunday, 4:30 p.m.
The Bruins hope to open this season better than they did last year against the Aggies, when they lost in overtime. Josh Rosen is the quarterback star of UCLA; if his offensive line can protect him, he can get some help from the running game and the receivers don’t drop the ball – something that plagued the team all last season – they have a good chance to win this game. The tailgate party scene is in the big grass area by the “backstop” near the Rose Bowl logo on the stadium, as well as on the golf course on the other side of the stadium.
Saturday’s Labor Day Events
• Concert Under The Guns, USS Iowa. A free concert by Vince Neil of Motley Crew and more bands, followed by fireworks. There are also food trucks and a “Sailor’s Bar.” Here’s the musical lineup:
Delta Air Lines Stage
9:15 pm Vince Neil of Motley Crue
8:30 pm GI’s of Comedy
7:30 pm Oingo Boingo’s Navy Dance Party
7:15 pm Sean Carrigan Comedy
6:00 pm Patrick Warburton and the Bearded Pearl Clams
4:45 pm Purple Sugar Classic Rock
4:00 pm USO Show Troupe
3 pm Los Rios School of Rock Kids Van Halen Show
1:30 pm TBA Military Comedy
12 pm DJ Frisco / Karaoke
• Wet, Queen Mary. EDM DJs on three levels of this historic ship and Los Angeles attraction. 4-9:30 p.m. Tickets: $40 in advance, $49 on deck.
Link: Queen Mary Website
• Resin Art & Surf, Hermosa Beach. A photography and art exhibit with a free reception on Saturday afternoon/evening. There will be live music and a “live projection experience” (the last event here had wine, beer and even cocktails, but am not sure if that’s the case this time). It goes from 4-9 p.m., and the location is Hermosa Design, 618 Cypress Ave.
• Shade Redondo Beach AQUA Pool Party. The last one of the year features four DJs at the hotel’s rooftop AQUA pool. It’s free fro 1-2 pm.; then $25. It goes until 6.
That’s it for the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report! For this and more, go to PubClub.com, Where L.A. And The World Goes To Party!
• Twitter: @Pubclub
• Instagram: Pubclub
• Snapchat: Pubclub