Memorial Day Party in LA’s Topanga Canyon Steps It Up With Popular Bands for 2012
I did a double-take when I looked at the music lineup for Topanga Days, the annual Memorial Day event in Los Angeles.
It features not only the Young Dubliners but also Fishbone. On the same day!
This is an incredible lineup, especially considering this isn’t a massive music festival, but rather a laid-back gathering on a Little League baseball field in the Topanga Canyon area of L.A. It’s as simple as the people who attend it, area residents in their tie-dye shirts who sit on towels on the grass, beer in hand, with memories of past Grateful Dead shows still lingering in their heads.
But obviously, organizers are branching out and going for a younger crowd, at least on the event’s final day.
The bands play on Memorial Day, Monday, May 28, with the Young Dubliners taking the stage at 3:30, followed by Fishbone at 5 p.m.
Also, don’t overlook the Chiefs, which play Sunday at 2 p.m. The Chiefs, which bring every 17- to 25-year-old in the area running from seemingly everywhere the moment they take the stage, perform fast-paced spiritual songs and features a fantastic lead guitar player, a mean keyboardist, plus a trumpet and trombone.
At 5 on the same stage, Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk performs.
There’s food at this festival – BBQ, brats, pizza – and vendors selling Topanga Canyon-type stuff, plus beer!
Gotta have beer. The beers are Bud Light, Shock Top and Stella Artois.
And all that live music.
• Saturday, Sunday and Monday, May 26-28, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Cost: $20 at the event (no advance sales). Beers are $5, $6, $7.
• Bands: On three stages (two outdoor), 11:30-6 p.m.
• Event Location: 1440 N. Topanga Canyon Blvd., Topanga CA (halfway between PCH in Malibu – just past Gladstone’s 4 Fish) and the 101. Map & Directions.
• Parking: Free along Topanga Caynon Blvd. Look for a white van, which is a free shuttle bus to the event. Parking is 1/4 to 3/4 a mile from the event. On the return, note that the north van heads the direction toward the 101 and the south van heads for cards parked toward Malibu.
• Topanga Days Event Review