Travel, Accommodations, Personal Safety, What To Pack & Electrical Outlets
Before making my first trip to Thailand, I consulted a couple of veteran friends of the country on some very important logistical things any traveler needs to know before packing for any trip.
And these are their answers.
• What kind of electrical outlets do they have there – American or do I need to get a converter?
A.) I AM 90 %SURE THAT NORMAL 110 WILL WORK BUT I WOULD BRING A CONVERTER ALONG ONLY IF YOU HAVE ONE.
• What do I pack/wear? Jeans for Taiwan okay, but just beach clothes for Thailand, even Bangkok?
A.) JUST THE JEANS AND ONE SPORTS SHIRT FROM TAIPEI AND BEACH CLOTHES WILL DO. YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY CHEAP T/.SHIRTS AND SHORTS WHILE YOU ARE THERE, THE STANDS ARE EVERYWHERE.
• How do I get around Thailand – I have to fly to Patong Beach? If so, is this a “whim” thing or does it require planning? Same for a room (In Greece, you simply jump on a ferry and then there’s tons of people meeting you at the dock offering “rooms to let.”
YOU CAN WAIT AND MAKE PLANE RESERVATIONS WHILE YOU ARE THERE. YOU WILL HAVE TO WING IT ON A HOTEL ROOM. TALK TO OTHER TRAVELERS IN BANGKOK ABOUT IT.
• What about going to James Bond Island? That’s just a boat ride from Patong, if I recall you telling me.
I WOULD PUT IT ON YOUR LIST BUT NOT A MUST DO.
• Where do the Australian girls go in Thailand!?
A.) YOUR NOT GOING TO THAILAND FOR AUSTRALIANS!! FORGET IT, STICK WITH THE LOCAL TALENT!
• Is it safe in Bangkok or does one have to keep their guard up – or just use common sense?
A.) PROBABLY NO MORE CRIME THAN ANY OTHER BIG CITY IN THE WORLD. COMMON SENSE AND NOT DOWN STREETS OR ALLIES WITH NO OTHER PEOPLE.
• What other packing/logistical things should I know before I get on the plane?
A.) RUBBERS, HAT, SUN BLOCK, MOSQUITO REPELLENT, READING MATERIAL FOR BEACH