Cruise At The Beach Paired With RB Pier Drink Specials
The classic Southern California lifestyle can often be seen through the cars people drive or perhaps more accurately, preserve.
Classic car shows are all over Southern California and a good one takes place every Friday as afternoon spills into evening in the relaxed, scenic and social South Bay Beach City of Redondo Beach.
Cruise at the Beach is in the King Harbor Parking lot by the Redondo Beach Pier. It takes place marine layer or shine, from April thru October, 4-8 p.m. And its free, not just for spectators but those who want to show off their cars – just pay the parking lot fee.
It’s a real step back in time with cars from the 20s through the 70s, and 50s music playing on the loudspeaker and the smell of burgers from the adjacent and co-host Ruby’s Diner fills the air.
It makes you think you’re in an old Happy Days sitcom. All that’s lacking is the Fonz and of course, Arnold or Al.
The show features 30-50 cars cars from all eras. Some regulars are perfectly restored 20s and 30s roadsters, 55 and 57 Chevys, Nomads, Corvettes, Ford Mustangs and a pint-sized and oversized VW Bug.
Anywhere from 50 to 200 people attend the show each week.
In addition to the cars, there’s an action for prizes, such as one free hour from Beach Cities Bike Tours, guided tours of the South Bay beaches on bicycles.
To enter your car, contact Larry Neville at (310) 962-7438 or e-mail at: [email protected].
Of course, one can only look at classic cars for so long before getting thirsty, and here’s some of the area Happy Hours on and around the Redondo beach Pier. Note that Old Tony’s does not have Happy Hour on Fridays. So if you go there, you have to pay full price for its signature Fire Chief drink.
Redondo Beach Pier Happy Hours
• BALEENKitchen (Portofino hotel): $4 Bud, Bud Light & “John Daily” Iced Tea, $5 well drinks & house wines $4-7 appetizers (fish tacos for seven bucks), 3-7 p.m.
• Cheesecake Factory – $4 select draft beers, $$5.50 wines, well drinks, margaritas, pink lemonade, Cosmopolitan & Long Island Teas.
• Kincaid’s – $1 off all draft beers (includes Kona Longboard), $4.75 house Cab & chardonnay, $5.95 select cocktails and appetizers ranging from $5-13, 3-6 p.m.
• R-10 – $5 beers and wines and $7 house-made margarita from 3-6 p.m.
• Starboard Attitude – $$2.50 pints of Bud Lights $3 well drinks, 5-9 p.m. Plus the all-the-time specials of $6.75 for 16-ounce margaritas, Bloody Marys & Long Island Teas.
• The Slip – $3-5 beers, $1 off wines & cocktails 3-6; “Power Hour” buy one beer, wine or well drink get the second for $1, 6-7 p.m.
Cruise At The Beach Address: 245 N. Harbor Drive, Redondo Beach, CA