Dedicated to ” the history, culture and absurdity of Rock ‘n’ Roll’s bastard stepchild” according to organizers, it has 2,000 square feet of exhibits encompassing five decades of punk history.
But that’s not all, it also has a bar, The Triple Down, the name coming from two legendary punk bars, The Triple Rock and the Double Down. The Triple Rock Social Club was a bar, music venue and restaurant in Minneapolis, co-owned by Erik Funk of the punk band Dillinger Four. P Moss, founder of the Las Vegas landmark Double Down Saloon, will co-manage the Triple Down bar at The Punk Rock Museum.
The museum itself has the Jam Room, where people can play instruments originally owned by punk musicians donated by the people who played them. Chris Shiflett from Me First and the Gimme Gimmes contributed his green guitar featured on the back cover of the band’s album “Take A Break,” released on Fat Wreck Chords in 2003.
In addition, Pete Koller from Sick Of It All donated his white ESP Viper guitar and even serves as a tour guide. “I am very excited to share my stories about some of the exhibits at The Punk Rock Museum,” he said. “Even if I don’t know the true story, I will make some shit up for you!”
Sounds about right.
Among the things people can see and do at the Punk Rock Museum is to hear about the first Germs shows from Don Bolles, walk with Roger Miret from Agnostic Front as he tells them about living in a van in the Lower East Side in the early 80s and hear about the crazy meteoric rise to fame from Noodles with The Offspring. Everyone who books one of these tours will hear stories no one else has heard from the people who lived them.
Guided tours will be offered multiple times throughout the day and capacity is 20 people per tour. Some of the confirmed tour guides include:
• Louiche Mayorga from Suicidal Tendencies
• Noodles from The Offspring
• Stacey Dee from Bad Cop/Bad Cop
• Don Bolles from The Germs/45 Graves
• Angelo Moore from Fishbone
• Greg Hetson from Circle Jerks/Punk Rock Karaoke
• Warren Fitzgerald from The Vandals
• Pete Koller from Sick Of It All
• Smelly from NOFX
• Roger Miret from Agnostic Front
• Joe Escalante from The Vandals
• Linh Le from Bad Cop/Bad Cop
• Intruder Blue from Masked Intruder
• Scott Shiflett from Face To Face
• Paddy Costello from Dillinger Four
• Zach Blair from Rise Against
Of course, no museum exists without a gift shop and the Vegas Punk Shop has customized punk merchandise.
Address & Map: 1422 Western Ave, Las Vegas
Website: The Punk Rock Museum