A Crew Of Krewes Uptown & In The French Quarter; Fat Tuesday Is March 5
The prime party event in a prime party place takes place the last two weeks in February in the Big Easy.
It’s Mardi Gras, and in New Orleans the focal point of the celebrations are the parades. Primarily, they take place during two weekends, culminating with Fat Tuesday, which in 2019 is March 5.
But there are other parades, as well, which started in January It’s important to note that with a couple of exceptions, the parades do not take place in the French Quarter. And Bourbon Street is shoulder-ti-shoulder packed the second weekend.
So here’s the schedule, dates and locations for all Mardi Gras parades.
Uptown (St. Charles Street/Canal) and French Quarter Parades:
• Sunday Jan. 6: Krewe of Joan of Arc, French Quarter, 7 p.m.; Phunny Phorty Phellows Uptown, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Feb. 15: Krewe Boheme, French Quarter, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 16 – Krewe du Vieux, French Quarter, 6:30 p.m.; krewedelusion, French Quarter, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Feb. 22 – Krewe of Cork, French Quarter, 3 p.m.; Krewe of Oshun, Uptown, 6 p.m.; Krewe of Cleopatra, Updown, 6:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 23 (Uptown)– Krewe of Pontchartrain, 1 p.m.; Krewe of Choctaw, follows; Kwewe of Feret, follows; Knights of Sparta, 5:30 p.m.; Krewe of Pygmalion, 6:45 p.m.
• Sunday, Feb. 24 (Uptown, starts at 11 a.m.) – The Mystic Crewe of Femme Fatale, Krewe of Carrollton, Krewe of King Arthur, Krewe of Alla.
• Wednesday, Feb. 27 (Uptown) – Krewe of Druids 6:30 p.m., Krewe of Nyx, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 28 (Uptown): Krewe of Babylon, 5:45 p.m.; Krewe of Chaos, 6: 15 p.m.; Krewe of Muses, 6:30 p.m.
• Friday, March 1 (French Quarter): Krewe of Busom Buddies, 11:30 a.m. Uptown: Krewe of Hermes, 6 p.m. Le Krewe d’Etat, 6:30 p.m. Krewe of Morpheus, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, March 2 (Uptown): Krewe of Iris,11 a.m.; Tucks. Mid-City: Krewe of Endymion, 4:15 p.m.
• Sunday March 3 (Uptown): Krewe of Okenos, 11 a.m.; Krewe of Mid-City, 11:45 a.m.; Krewe of Thoth, Noon; Crewe of Bacchus, 5:15 p.m.
• Luni Gras, March 4 (Uptown): Krewe of Proteus, 5:15 p.m. Krewe of Orpheus, 6 p.m.
• Mardi Gras Day, March 5 (Uptown): Krewe of Zulu, 8 a.m.; Krewe of Rex, 10 a.m.; Krewe of Elks Orleans, 11:30 a.m.; Crescent City (after Elks). There are also marching bands on Mardi Gras: Jefferson City Buzzards, Uptown, 6:45 a.m. Lyons Carnival Club and Corner Carnival Club, Uptown, 7 a.m. Pete Fountain’s Half-Fast Walking Club and Mondo Kayo Social & Marching Club, Uptown, 7:45 a.m. Societe de Saint Anne, French Quarter (Marginey/Bywater), 10 a.m. KOE, French Quarter, 10:15 a.m.