The prime party event in a prime party place takes place the last two weeks in February in the Big Easy.
It’s Mardi Gras, and in New Orleans the focal point of the celebrations are the parades. Primarily, they take place during two weekends, culminating with Fat Tuesday, which in 2023 is Feb. 21.
But there are other parades, as well, which started in January. It’s important to note that with a couple of exceptions, the parades do not take place in the French Quarter. And Bourbon Street is shoulder-ti-shoulder packed the second weekend.
So here’s the schedule, dates and locations for all Mardi Gras parades.
Uptown (St. Charles Street/Canal) and French Quarter Parades:
• Friday Jan. 6: Krewe of Joan of Arc, French Quarter, 7 p.m.; Phunny Phorty Phellows Uptown, 7 p.m., followed by the Funky Uptown Krewe; Société Des Champs Elysée, French Quarter, 7:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Jan. 7: Fools of Misrule, 6 p.m., Covington
• Saturday, Jan 28: Krewe of Chewbacchus, Marigny
• Friday, Feb. 3: Krewe Boheme, French Quarter, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 4 – Krewe du Vieux, French Quarter, 6:30 p.m.; krewedelusion, French Quarter, 7 p.m.
• Sunday Feb. 5 – Krewe of Little Rascals, Metarie, Noon, Metairie; ‘tit Rex, Marigny, 4:30 p.m.; Krewe of Pearl River Lions Club, Pearl River, 1 p.m.
• Friday, Feb. 10– Krewe of Cork, French Quarter, 3 p.m.; Krewe of Excalibur, Marigny, 6:30 p.m.; Krewe of Oshun, Uptown, 6 p.m.; Krewe of Cleopatra, Updown, 6 p.m., followed by Krewe of Alla
• Saturday, Feb. 11 (Uptown)– Krewe of Pontchartrain, 1 p.m.; Krewe of Choctaw, follows; Kwewe of Feret, follows; Knights of Sparta, 5:30 p.m.; Krewe of Pygmalion, 6:45 p.m.
• Sunday, Feb. 12 (Uptown, starts at 11 a.m.) – The Mystic Crewe of Femme Fatale, Krewe of Carrollton, Krewe of King Arthur, Krewe of Alla.
• Wednesday, Feb. 15 (Uptown) – Krewe of Druids 6:30 p.m., Krewe of Nyx, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 16 (Uptown): Knights of Babylon (5:30 p.m.), followed by Knights of Chaos, followed by Knights of Muses
• Friday, Feb. 17 (French Quarter): Krewe of Busom Buddies, 11:30 a.m. Uptown: Krewe of Hermes, 6 p.m. Le Krewe d’Etat, 6:30 p.m. Krewe of Morpheus, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 18 (Uptown): Krewe of Iris,11 a.m.; Tucks. Mid-City: Krewe of Endymion, 4:15 p.m.
• Sunday Feb. 19 (Uptown): Krewe of Okenos, 11 a.m.; Krewe of Mid-City, 11:45 a.m.; Krewe of Thoth, Noon; Crewe of Bacchus, 5:15 p.m.
• Luni Gras, Feb. 20 (Uptown): Krewe of Proteus, 5:15 p.m. Krewe of Orpheus, 6 p.m.
• Mardi Gras Day, Tuesday, Feb. 21 (Uptown): Krewe of Zulu, 8 a.m.; Krewe of Rex, 10 a.m.; followed by Krewe of Elks Orleans, followed by Krewe of Crescent City. There are also marching bands on Mardi Gras: Jefferson City Buzzards, Uptown, 6:45 a.m. Lyons Carnival Club and Corner Carnival Club, Uptown, 7 a.m. Pete Fountain’s Half-Fast Walking Club and Mondo Kayo Social & Marching Club, Uptown, 7:45 a.m. Societe de Saint Anne, French Quarter (Marginey/Bywater), 10 a.m. KOE, French Quarter, 10:15 a.m.
Bootsie Nores says
We’re staying at the Marriott on Canal St for four nights. What streets will be closed and the time. We’re coming in from Slidell.Thanks
You’re in a great location! PubClub.com suggests taking the St. Charles Street Car to the Midtown parades as far as it will take you until you run into street closures. Check your hotel when you get there about times and other street closures. None in the French Quarter. Let the good times roll!
Bootsie Nores says
We’re coming in on Saturday March 2.