The Sky’s The Limit At One Of The Top Things To Do In The Smoky Mountains
The Gatlinburg Sky Bridge is one of the most popular tourist attractions in a town full of them.
And for good reason.
First of all, it’s one of the best bargains in the entire Smoky Mountains and one of the best of any travel destination in the world. It costs just $20 in advance ($24 day of) and is good for all day and night. That alone makes it a no-brainer.
Secondly, it’s an adventure with enough of a thrill to provide an adrenaline rush but save enough to where you don’t need to be an extreme daredevil to enjoy it. Heck, grandparents and children do it.
It sways and is narrow – it’s only wide enough for two lanes of foot traffic – but would take an incredibly stupid act to get injured. And they have staffers up there to make sure people don’t do anything incredibly stupid.
Gatlinburg Sky Bridge is the longest pedestrian bridge in North America at 680 feet long. It is 150 feet above the ground at its highest point and its signature features are three glass panels in the floor which look down onto the ground below your feet.
On a clear day you can see the three highest peaks in the Smoky Mountains and up to 14 mountain peaks. More than one million pounds of concrete were used and there are more than three miles of cables on the SkyBridge.
It is part of Skylift Park, which is the oldest attraction in Gatlinburg, which opened in 1954. It was burned down in the devastating Gatlinburg fires in November, 2016 and rebuilt into a beautiful area.
SkyBridge was added because Skylift Park had begun to lose popularity as a tourist attraction and that has certainly proven to be an astute move, for there’s a steady stream of people catching the chairlifts to get up to the bridge.
So it is fun? Heck yeah! It it scary? Not at all – once you take your first few steps and get used to it.
Gatlinburg Sky Bridge Top Tips:
• Get your ticket on-line in advance (link below). Not only will it save you $4 but it will save you a lot of time because the day-of line can be really long.
• Go both in the daytime and nighttime for two very different experiences.
• Once you get to the top, take your time to enjoy the views from Sky Park. In other words, do more than just go across the bridge.
• If you stop at the glass panels to lay down and pose for a selfie, make it quick, as there are several people on the bridge wanting to get by you.
Gatlinburg Sky Bridge Fast Facts:
• Cost: $19.95 advance, $23.95 same day. Tickets good all day and night.
• Hours: 9 a.m.-9:30 p.m. (Last ticket sold at 9 p.m., bridge closes at 9:30)
• Location: 765 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN
• Phone: (865) 436.4307
• Amenities: Restrooms, gift shop, small snack bar with beverages & beer
• Parking: Lots are all around Gatlinburg ranging in cost from $10-20. A lot right by Sky Park is $15. There is also free parking on side and back streets, tho obviously it’s often difficult to grab one of those spots.
• Website & Advance Tickets