Annual Event Features Bands, Beer, Great Times in a Scenic Setting And a Few Hippies
Fortunately, that’s not a problem, as stations pour it with pleasure ($5, $6, $7).
And what makes it such an event?
It’s held on Memorial Day Weekend for starters (May 26-28 in 2018). And there’s the location, off Topanga Canyon Blvd., in the gorgeous Malibu Canyons. But that’s just the starting points, for the real reason is the event itself.
Topanga Days is a step back in decades, almost as if time has been suspended. It’s fairly small – the main area is on a Little League baseball field – and simple, as uncomplicated as your first girlfriend (or boyfriend). It’s just as carefree, too, a free and open spirit that has but one objective: Have FUN.
This is the 45h annual Topanga Days, so it’s been going on for quite a while.
There are bands on two outdoor stages, one main stage and another smaller stage behind the primary area.
The lineup on the main stage is as follows:
• Saturday – Pacific Range (11 a.m.-Noon), Paintbox (12:30-1:30), FNTN (2-3:15 p.m.), Backseat Pilots (3:45-5 p.m.), Milo Green (5:30-7:30)
• Sunday – Bleach (11 a.m.-Noon), Watcher Moon (12:30-1:30), Kummerspeck, Tom Petty Tribute (2-3:15), Pearl (3:45-5 p.m.), X (5:30-7:30)
• Monday – Flag raising & National Anthem (11 a.m.-Noon), Afrolicious (12:30-1:30), Venice (2-3:30), Breakestra (4-5:30 p.m.), Mestizo Beat (6-7).
There are places to hang out, hide out and chill out, all on dirt paths with trees for shade surrounded by spectacular, high hills. It’s ideal for this barefoot-beads-and-incense crowd.
Additionally, there are tents selling trinkets and clothes and even a kids area.
There’s food vendors selling funnel cakes, Kettle Corn, BBQ, pizza, brats, Mexican Thai, – but people can bring their own eats. And they do, spreading out blankets and chairs on the infield as if they are on a picnic. Which they are, essentially.
In addition the beer there is also wine and a popular sangria bar.
The crowd, which is sizeable but hardly overwhelming in numbers, is mainly of the mellow mindset, people who seem to have never left the 60’s. Anyone wondering whatever happened to Southern California’s hippies need only to go to Topanga Days.
That’s hardly everyone in attendance, but they certainly set the scene.
Topanga Days is not your wild whoop-it-up Memorial Day party. But it’s an entertaining, fun and no-worries way to spend Memorial Day Weekend in L,A., one that’s away from the impossible crowds of the beaches, the packed freeways and other typical holiday activities.
Plus, there’s that beer.
TOPANGA DAYS INFORMATION:
• Days: Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Cost: $25 at the event ($15 for Topanga Community Center members). All members of the armed forces, past and present, with military I.D., receive free entrance to the Festival on Monday, May 28th. Beers are $5, $6, $7.
• Bands: On three stages (two outdoor), 11:30-6 p.m.
• Event Location: 1440 N. Topanga Canyon Blvd., Topanga CA (halfway between PCH in Malibu – just past Gladstone’s 4 Fish) and the 101. Map & Directions.
• Parking: Free along Topanga Caynon Blvd. Look for a white van, which is a free shuttle bus to the event. Parking is 1/4 to 3/4 a mile from the event. On the return, note that the north van heads the direction toward the 101 and the south van heads for cards parked toward Malibu.
• Event website
– TOPANGA DAYS IMAGES –