Annual Event Always Provides Laughs Fun Memories
In the heavens of wine and food festivals, there is the San Diego Bay Wine + Food Festival.
It is an event that never fails to put me on Cloud 9, sending sending me into a kind of starry-eyed stratosphere that starts a few days beforehand and lasts until several days afterward.
In case you think I am exaggerating, let me share a few highlights with you:
• Upon checking into the 2017 event, Nikki Kennedy of Fast Forward Events which promotes the festival, told PubClub to be sure and go into the orange Port-O-Lets. We did and walked into a wild jungle of a bar – complete with a cage – from Monkey Shoulder whiskey. It was like an endless selfie station. With cocktails.
• I got to know and hang out with several of the chefs and I learned something about chefs: they like to have as much fun as me.
• Last year, before even heading to the SommCom massive wine-tasting event on Friday night (this year it’s called the Grand Decant), we went to a blind tasting where there were seven – yes, seven – wines to be tasted. And they were not small pours in the glasses, either. My PubClub.com associate Digger and I arrived at SommCom in, well, quite the festive mood.
• At another preview event, a Thursday evening at the great Gaslamp bar Searsucker, we ate like kings and made all sort of “new best friends” as we emptied out the drink samples being served that night. I still laugh when I think about this one.
• After last year’s Grand Tasting, team PubClub had a singing pedicab driver pick us up at the Embarcadero exit and we rolled into the Gaslamp in grand style.
These moments don’t even count the dozens upon dozens of encounters PubClub has had with all the people – the servers, the attendees – in what I have found to be the most fun and friendly wine and food festival have ever attended in my wine and food festival blogging career.
That’s what makes it such as heavenly event.
Is is not always about the people!?
Look for me and PubClub.com associate Digger at the Grand Decant on Friday night the 16th and the Grand Tasting on the 17th. This year, we’re also going to be at a taco tasting on Sunday.