Fins Up: Buffett Confired For Hermosa Beach!!!
Could it be, or is it just my wild imagination?
Well, I’m going to let my imagination run with it and I believe the special musical guest for the Discovery Channel’s FinFest event taking place in Hermosa Beach on Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 9-10, is Jimmy Buffett.
UPDATE: This HAS been confirmed!!!
Then again, it could be Jack Johnson; that’s a name I’ve heard from a few people who may or may not be in the know.
Update II: Don’t be surprised to see Buffett joned on stage by Johnson.
Update III: Jack Johnson at 6, Buffett at 7.
But here’s what I DO know concerning Buffett:
• He’s just bought a house in Los Angeles (Beverly Hills) and he IS in town
• He was on the Ellen show on Thursday, which tapes in L.A., with the Coral Reefers
• His management company is in L.A.
• Coral Reefer Michael Utley lives just up The Strand from Hermosa in Venice Beach (I learned this fact when I met Michael in Pancho’s, Manhattan Beach)
• He’s been known to show up unannounced in places (earlier this year, he wound up at a surfing tournament in Australia)
• The event is called FinFest for cryin’ out loud!
I have been told that it’s a musical “icon” and Buffett certainly qualifies as one much more so than Jack Johnson.
If it’s Jack Johnson, I’ll be disappointed; I find his music way too mellow, better suited to be sitting around a campfire on the beach with a bucket of beers rather than on a stage on a beach.
Although here’s what’s likely to happen: It will be Jack Johnson but he will be joined on the shark’s mouth-looking stage at some point by Buffett. After all, Buffett is friend with Jack Johnson and even saw Johnson join Buffett on stage during a show in Santa Barbara.
Whomever it is, we’ll find out when he takes the stage at the south side of the Hermosa Beach Pier on Saturday at 7 p.m.
For more on FinFest and the lineup of announced bands, click here.