France, Germany Switzerland, Luxembourg & The Netherlands Are Destinations
Hosted by notable North American wine experts, certified sommeliers and vineyard owners, the specialty wine-themed sailings offer onboard lectures and tastings to complement the extensive array of included shore excursions.
“Our specialty Wine Cruise program continues to evolve and flourish,” said Kristin Karst, AmaWaterways’ executive vice president and co-founder. “As demand for these sailings grows, our focus is to partner with engaging hosts and craft new wine-themed experiences that encourage our guests to discover the most beautiful wine-growing regions in the world.”
AmaWaterways will debut Treasures of the Main & Rhine, a seven-night sailing between Nuremberg, Germany, and Amsterdam showcasing the best of the Main and Rhine rivers. Itinerary highlights include a visit to Würzburg, set in the middle of Germany’s largest wine-producing region; sampling Hornla pastry, a regional favorite whose recipe dates back to 1427; touring a local bakery to learn the art of pretzel making; and wine-tasting with a local Rüdesheim vintner.
Another new itinerary is Vineyards of the Rhine & Moselle, a seven-night journey between Luxembourg and Amsterdam. The trip includes gondola rides over Rüdesheim’s vineyards, samples of Reibekuchen – German potato pancakes – a Bernkastel winery visit and tasting and, for the beer lovers out there, Kölsch beer found exclusively in Cologne.
Featuring seminars, wine-paired dinners, tasting events, private cellar tours, and visits to iconic vineyards, each specialty Wine Cruise is hosted by North American wine aficionados who share their expertise and insights with guests, offering unique experiences that blend Europe’s old-world palate with North America’s new-world taste. For the 2020 cruise season, AmaWaterways partners with an esteemed group of hosts from across the US including:
- Frank Ostini, Hitching Post Winery (March 26 Rhine & Moselle Splendors) and Kathy Joseph,Fiddlehead Cellars (March 30 Romantic Danube); two wineries showcased in the iconic movie Sideways
- Paul Wagner, renowned wine expert, author, and recipient of the 2018 Award of Merit from the American Wine Society (April 9 Taste of Bordeaux)
- Jody Bogle, co-owner of Bogle Vineyards & Winery (August 20 Taste of Bordeaux)
- Roman Roth, Wolffer Estate Vineyard (July 30 Colors of Provence)
- Wilson Family, returning favorite hosts from Wilson Creek Winery (November 1 Manga on the Danube on board the double-width AmaMagna)
Enhanced wine experiences on the new itineraries include sessions with wine hosts Susanne Sapier, owner of Vineyard Grant James, on the August 6 Treasures of the Main & Rhinesailing; Dan McDonnal and Alix Bosch, co-owners of De Tierra Vineyards, on the April 2 Vineyards of the Rhine & Moselle sailing; and Cindy and Nicholas Palumbo, co-owners of Palumbo Family Vineyards, on the October 14 Vineyards of Rhine & Moselle sailing.
For a complete list of wine cruises, go to the AmaWaterways wine cruises webpage.