Buyer’s Remorse On The Baton Rouge Bayou?
A stark performance in Starkville, nothing gained in Gainesville and a “Heartbreak Hotel” in Memphis.
These were all situations and scenes left on the turf from week four in college football. Here’s a look at the week’s biggest winners and losers.
• Clemson. Ahh, well that was easy. Who’s next!?
• Oklahoma. Shook off an early hangover from the Ohio State game to spike Tulane.
• USC. Avoided what would have been an emotional crushing and embarrassing loss to Texas.
• Vanderbilt. Yes, Vandy. The Commodores played tough, got a couple of breaks when K-State TDs were called back and upset the #18 Wildcats. Next up, Vandy hosts Alabama.
This is much easier to identify than the winners. And it mostly involves coaches.
• Coach O. Are LSU fans and alumni now saying “Oh, maybe we should not have hired this guy after all!?”
• Butch Jones. Another head-scratching loss to Florida. How long can this guy last at UT?
• UCLA & Jim Mora. No running game, a pathetic “defense” and fans who were excited after the Texas A&M miracle are now shrugging their shoulders.
• Lamar Jackson & Louisville. Well, so much for that Heisman Trophy and rise up the rankings.
• Nebraska. Lost to Northern Illinois. Just so you know this is not a mistake it must be repeated. Nebraska lost to Northern Illinois.
• Todd Grantham & Arizona State. Lost to Texas Tech. A week after losing to San Diego State. A week after barely beating New Mexico State. Grantham would be in trouble if only people at Arizona State cared whether or not the football team wins or loses. As long as there is a game and they can party, things are fine in Tempe.