Here is a quick guide to where to play golf on the Hawaiian island of Kaua‘i. The Kaua’i golf courses described here were designed by Jack Nicklaus, Robert Trent Jones Jr, Robin Nelson and more and have holes playing Makai (towards the ocean), or playing Mauka (towards the mountains). You can see them on the TV show :Breaking Par” on Bally’s Sports and YouTube.
- The Ocean Course at Hōkūala – The Ocean Course at Hōkūala is a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course that boasts the longest stretch of oceanfront holes in all of Hawai‘i. The picturesque course winds its way through papaya and guava groves to seaside cliffs.The Ocean Course at Hōkūala has been rated as Hawai‘i’s Best Golf Course by the World Golf Awards 2018 – 2020.
- Po‘ipū Bay Golf Course – Po‘ipū Bay Golf Course was designed by renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Jr and is set between mountains and rugged ocean bluffs. The course incorporates more than 30 acres of colorfully landscaped tropical plants and flowers, making it one of Hawai‘i’s most beautiful courses. Po‘ipū Bay hosted the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 to 2006.
- Princeville Makai Golf Club – Princeville Makai Golf Club opened in 1971 as the first solo effort of Robert Trent Jones, Jr. The course was completely renovated in 2009, introducing new Seashore Paspalum turf grass on all fairways and greens. Princeville Makai features surreal vistas of Mt. Makana (aka Bali Hai) and Hanalei Bay, including the signature par-3, 7th hole that offers a 213-yard shot over scenic cliffs.
- Puakea Golf Course – Designed by architect Robin Nelson, Puakea is a beautiful layout built along massive ravines and tropical terrain with the backdrop being used for the Jurassic Park series. Named one of the top courses in Hawai‘i by Sports Illustrated, Golf Advisor and Golfweek, the dramatic 18-hole golf course is also known for its high-quality, “Kaua‘i-style” customer service. Puakea was rated “Best of Kaua‘i” by Garden Island Newspaper from 2013 – 2019.
- Wailua Golf Course – Wailua Golf Course offers classic, golden-era seaside golf holes by the Pacific Ocean. First built as a 9-hole course in the 1930’s and expanded to 18 holes in 1961, Wailua has hosted three USGA Amateur and three US Public Links Championships. This municipal layout was designed by Toyo Shirai and features stunning mountain views along the Royal Coconut Coast.
There’s more at Go Golf Kauai.