What To Expect In The Bars & With The Girls
Before headed to Thailand for the first time, I had several questions about it, what it’s like there and all the way down to basic questions regarding wardrobe and electrical outlets.
So I consulted a couple of friends who are veterans of that country, and received excellent answers that prepared me for the trip. And PubClub.com is sharing these tips with you. For the basics, here’s their answers on what to pack and expect.
And here’s what they had to say about preparing for Thailand’s wild and unique nightlife:
• There are girls for hire in nearly all the bars and clubs. Some bars specifically cater to guys who want to meet and have sex with these girls (me, not so much). Regular-looking bars have “bar girls” whose female employees are all “companionship friendly,” so to speak. A GoGo bar is the Thai equivalent of a strip club.
• It’s impossible for a first-timer to spot the girls for hires in the “regular” pubs and clubs. “Assume they are all for hire,” one friend said. “They dress and act like any girls in any bar anywhere in the world. Unless you have a trained eye, you would have no idea they will go home with you for the equivalent of $30-40 U.S. dollars.”
• The girls – even ones seeking paid companionship – are not forward. That’s good to know! “They will talk with you but at no point is their any pressure,” the same friend said. “If you don’t want to go back with them for a night or whatever, you don’t have to, and that’s okay. You can still go in, have some company for a while, and leave.”
• If you go into one of the “entertainment” bars in Bangkok – the kind where girls do crazy performances (open a beer bottle with a certain female body part, play a type of ping pong on a table), ask the prices before walking inside. “These places are all about getting your money and while they are certainly entertaining, always ask what things cost,” the friend advised.
• Do go into one of the “Lady Boys” bars. It’s a unique scene, something worth a one-time visit.
• For traveling, take a few things that will help you with the locals – and the girls. This is for Americans – a friend likes to take USA headbands and go to your bank and get $2 bills to give out as “gifts,” or tips. The $2 bills are highly treasured in Thailand.