Get Close To Nature Along The CA Highway 1 Discovery Route From Morro Bay To San Simeon
The fifth annual Coastal Discovery & Stewardship Celebration runs from Jan. 13-Feb. 28 along the CA Highway 1 Discovery Route in Coastal San Luis Obispo County.
Presented by several local non-profits including California State Parks and the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary , it involves 36 Coastal Discovery events and award-winning Stewardship Travel activities.
The six-week celebration enables travelers to immerse themselves in local culture, marine life, coastal heritage, and natural attractions with the scientists, naturalists and locals who bring this program to life.
Free iWERKS Film at Hearst Castle: Disneynature Oceans
One of the featured events is the Coastal Discovery & Stewardship Film Festival at the Hearst Castle Theater. This takes place each Saturday during the event’s six-week run, at 6 p.m. The film is Disneynature Oceans, a story about underwater creatures. The incredible state-of-the-art underwater filmmaking will take your breath away as you migrate with whales, swim alongside a great white shark and race with playful dolphins.
Wine Tasting Events
With it’s proximity to Paso Robles right over the mountain, it is only natural that there are wine tasting events as part of the Discovery Stewardship Celebration.
There is the aforementioned Sharks after Dark at the Central Coast Aquarium and the 4th Annual BlendFest on the Coast, which blends the scenic beauty of the Pacific Ocen with the renowned wines of the Paso Robles Wine Country. This event features a winemaker dinner and two Grand Tasting sessions from renowned Paso Robles wineries.
Links to these and all other events are below.
Central California Coast Winter Lodging Specials
Many hotels and other accommodations have special lodging packages during this time. The area goes from just south of Big Sur from Ragged Point & San Simeon, Cambria, Cayucos, and Los Osos/Baywood Park, to Avila Beach & Valley, Edna Valley, Arroyo Grande Valley, Oceano and Nipomo, just south of San Luis Obispo.
Full List Of Discovery Stewardship Events 2018
Here is a complete rundown of all the events:
- Free iWERKS Film at Hearst Castle: Disneynature Oceans
- Adventures with Nature
- BlendFest on the Coast
- Elephant Seal Exploratory Tours
- Coastal Discovery Center at San Simeon Cove
- Elephant Seal Docent-Led Educational Talks
- Piedras Blancas Light Station Historical Tours
- Hands-on Citizen Science Programs at San Simeon Cove
- Whale Trail
- Fiscalini Ranch Preserve Monthly Work Day
- Cambria Cleanup Kit and Appreciation Tote Bag
- Walk Back in Time: Cambria Museum Self-Guided Tour
- Estero Bluffs State Park
- Montana de Oro & Trail Restoration Days
- Spooner Ranch House
- El Moro Elfin Forest Docent-Led Nature Walks
- Old Edna Townsite Self-Guided Tour & Wine Tasting Option
- Point San Luis Lighthouse Volunteer Days
- Point San Luis Lighthouse Docent-Led Hikes Pecho Coast Trail
- Point San Luis Lighthouse History Tours
- Avila Beach Cleanup Kit and Appreciation Tote Bag
- Central Coast Aquarium
- Central Coast Aquarium Shark Feeding and Tour
- Central Coast Aquarium Jelly Fish Feeding and Tour
- Central Coast Aquarium Sharks After Dark Wine and Science and Mixer
- Central Coast Aquarium’s Mommies & Guppies
- Oceano Model Railroad & Historic Depot Restoration Days
- Monarch Butterfly Migration
- Huell Howser Memorial Nature Walk at Oso Flaco
- Volunteer at Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Natural History Center
- Nipomo Native Garden Volunteer Days
- Rancho Nipomo Historical Dana Adobe Visit