Here’s some key information you need to know before stepping on the golf course for the 2022 Genesis Invitational (formerly the Northern Trust Open and LA Open), as Los Angeles hosts the PGA Tour event featuring the world’s top golfers.
Follow these tips and your experience will be well under par.
Top Things To Know When Attending The L.A. Open Golf
• The 2022 dates are Feb. 17-20 . The field includes – Jordan Spieth, Justin Leonard, Bubba Watson, Michael Thompson, Dustin Johnson (which assures his wife, Wayne Gretzky’s daughter, will be there, along with Gretzky himself), Sergio Garcia, UCLA alumn Kevin Chappel, USC alumn Jamie Lovemark and PGA Tour and L.A. Open veteran Fred Couples.
• Riviera Country Club is located 1250 Capri Drive, Pacific Palasades, CA. The intersection is Capri and Sunset.
• Arrive at least by mid-morning to catch some golf and follow golfers, then hit the Michelob Ultra 19th hole.
• The elevated area between the 9th and 10th holes is a central gathering place and a good spot to see two holes. There is a concession stand behind the 10th tee. For a complete list of bars and lounges, click over to our Genesis Invitational social guide for singles.
• There are concession stands (which includes beer sales), ATMs and restrooms located throughout the course.
• If you want to have a few beers as you cruise the course – and why wouldn’t you because that’s part of the experience – there are beer booths throughout the course. There’s also a bar called the Michelob Ultra 19th Hole next to the popular Par-3 14th, and a very short walk from the 18th fairway.
• You can take beers out of the 19th Hole onto the course but not cocktails. That’s a PGA Tour rule.
• Saturday night, there is a free (for those with tickets) concert by The English Beat. The location is by the driving range. It is adjacent to a pop-up bar called the Green Room, which requires an extra ticket ($80).
• GA Tickets are $49 for Friday and Sunday, $59 on Saturday and $39 on Thursday. You can save $5 by paying with a MasterCard.
• If you’re picking just one day to go, then make it Saturday. The action is intense among the players but the overall spectator mood is a bit more relaxed than on Sunday when the tournament is on the line.
• The Weather: Thursday is mostly sunny and could be the best weather day of the tournament. Friday will challenge the old adage of “it never rains on a golf course,” as wet weather hits in the morning and is going to be heavy at times throughout the day. It may be windy, too. Rain is a strong possibility on Saturday and after initially looking sunny on Sunday, it may be wet that day, too. Temperatures are to be in the mid to low 60s.
• Parking is in Santa Monica; there are designated lots for free for those who purchase tickets in advance. For others, general parking is at the Santa Monica Civic Center (4th Street between Pico Blvd., and the 10 freeway). There is free shuttle bus service from Santa Monica at these locations:
– 333 Civic Center Drive, Santa Monica, CA
– 1447 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA