The long-awaited sequel to the iconic Top Gun movie is due out on May 27 and as a preview, there is a special VIP-only screening taking place on Wednesday, May 4 in San Diego.
There will be an event on the flight deck of the USS Midway in the morning, following a private screening at the Sugar Factory movie theater in the Gaslamp Quarter on Fifth Ave.
Confirmed celebrities include Kenny Loggins and Lady Gaga. Loggins wrote the iconic theme song to the original Top Gun movie, “Danger Zone” which is being used in the sequel and Gaga has a second theme song that is prominently featured in the movie. Think along the lines of the Berlin song, “Take My Breath Away.”
But the hot rumor is will he or won’t he? Officials will not confirm nor deny but the hot rumor is that Tom Cruise himself will be here, as well, and that he will be in a helicopter that lands on the deck of the Midway prior to that ceremony.
Obviously, such things are a well-kept Hollywood secret but it’s also a tradition for studios to leak out information ahead of time to create a buzz about a new release.
Because it has been twice delayed due to the pandemic, Top Gun: Maverick is the longest-promoted film in Hollywood history. Like the original, much of it was filmed right here in San Diego. Several scenes were shot aboard the Midway (the original movie used a commissioned aircraft carrier while it was on active duty).
There are currently no known plans to utilize the “Top Gun bar,” Kansas City BBQ on Harbor Drive across from Seaport Village. Although you may see “Tom Cruise” in there (as I have a couple of times), an incredible look-alike who makes appearances there to promote a local biplane sightseeing company.
Other San Diego film locations in the original movie are:
• The Embarcadero just south of the Coast Guard station for the sunset shot of Cruise and Kellly McGillis riding together on a motorcycle.
• Further down the Embarcadero in front of the fishing boats between the Midway and Seaport Village for the big kissing scene after the motorcycle ride.
• The big hill of Laurel Street for the scene after the car/motorcycle chase between Cruise and McGillis.
• The lobby bar of the Hotel Lafayette for the Top Gun school officers bar.
• Oceanside for the McGillis’ beach house.