Here’s the top tips for attending Oktoberfest in Munich which, by the way, should be on every partier and beer drinker’s bucket list.
• Oktoberfest 2019 is Sept. 21-Oct. 6.
• Arrive at least by 11 on Opening Day.
• Get a reservation for groups of 5-6 (or more) in the tent of choice; it’s a must to be in the Hofbrau Haus on Opening Day.
• You must be seated to get beers in the every beer tent except the Hofbrau Haus.
• For the above reason, the Hofbrau Haus is the biggest party place at Oktoberfest.
• Don’t spend ALL of your tiime in the beer tents. Oktoberfest is actually a fair with carnival rides and food. Be sure and get the full Oktoberfest experieance.
• Get cash. ATMs are on-site at each of the two entrances.
• Tents open at 11 a.m., and close at 11 p.m. The Oktoberfest grounds stay open until midnight.
• There is a Metro stop at the entrance.
• Hotels fill up in town fast, so make reservations early, well before the summer. It’s best to stay walking distance, which is anyywhere near the main train station.
• Biers are 1 liter and cost 8 Euros.
• The beer mugs are glass and heavy and yes, the waitresses carry up to a dozen of them at one time. Don’t get in their way when they are walking with full beers.
• If you are there for the second week, don’t miss the concert on Sunday. The bands in all the beer tents come out and play the popular tunes, starting at 11 a.m.
• The words to the often-played beer cheers song is: “it’s ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemuetlichkeit….eins, zwei, drei g’suff.”
• Dress comfortably; it’s HOT in those beer tents!
• The official Oktoberfest web site is: www.oktoberfest.info/en
Leave a Reply