Smackfest 2017 Hermosa Beach, LA Beer Week, Father’s Day, El Segundo Summer Art Walk
Welcome to the PubClub.com Los Angeles and South Bay Party Report for the third weekend in June!
What a big weekend of events and happenings it is, too.
And don’t forget Sunday is Father’s Day!
THURSDAY – EL SEGUNDO ART WALK
The first El Segundo Art Walk of the summer is this Thursday. Several businesses open their doors to artwork, some pouring beers and others wines. It’s very social and very fun. And also it’s free! Starts at 5 and goes until 9. Look for the balloons in front of the businesses downtown and further inland. Don’t drive so consider taking the white Beach Cities Transit bus, about 30 minutes from Hermosa but it only cost a buck, thus I call it the “Dollar Taxi.”
FRIDAY IN HERMOSA
• Harbor Party At Standing Room
This fun party band plays starting at 9:30 with vodka drink specials and the Happy Hour Volleyball group. Wear your yachting hat to get something special (see Less; not More, mind you, but Less).
• Smackfest! It’s here folks. Yes, a month early but what a way to kickoff the summer beach party season! There will be more than 1,000 people at the Hermosa Beach Pier playing (or attempting to play) beach volleyball in costumes; wonder what the great team themes will be this year!? It’s always creative!
Of course, remember obey the beach drinking laws and if you encounter one of the fine Hermosa Beach Police officers to do exactly as they say, so we can all keep this wonderful and fun event happening each and every year. Heck, half the fun is to grab a group and go charging into a bar. And once again Sharkeez is the host bar and players get discounts on food and drinks.
Thanks to Bill Sigler, Smackfest Events and all the sponsors for putting on this tournament, too.
New this year: be on the lookout for the PubClub “It’s 5 O’Clock (Somewhere) News Team.” Also PubClub invited Art Mann of AXS TV, who will be walking around, talking to people and taking in the entire event. Here’s a preview of Smackfest; see you there on Saturday!
• Smackfest After Party
The Deck is the official Smackfest After Party location. Drink specials for players so don’t rip off your wristbands till the next day! Starts at 8.
• Joe’s Band At Standing Room
Top off your Smackfest Saturday – if you’re still standing! – with Joe’s Band at Standing Room. Is this the perfect topping to a great South Bay day or what!? Starts 9:30 Joe’s Band time.
• Boots & Brews
If you feel like a little road trip or need a country music fix, Boots & Brews is a beer and music festival taking place in Santa Clarita. The headliner is Eastin Corbin. Tix are $50 and beer is extra. Here’s a link with everything you need to know about it:
• LA Beer Week Kickoff Party
LA Beer Week starts Saturday and runs thru June 25. It’s a series of local events at local breweries and there’s one big kickoff event Saturday. It features more than 74 craft breweries, live entertainment and this year an expanded food court. Put on by the Los Angeles Brewers Guild, the event is being held at Los Angeles Center Studios in DTLA. It goes from 1-4 p.m, and tickets are $50 for GA and $70 for VIP. Link: http://calendar.labeerweek.org/events/2017/6/17/9th-annual-la-beer-week
SUNDAY FUNDAY IN THE SOUTH BAY
• King Harbor Brewing is hosting a beer bike ride. It starts at noon in Redondo Beach and goes to Nikau Kai Cafe for burritos, Shellback. Barnacles and back to King Harbor. Cost: $25 and includes the burrito and first beer at each stop. It will be taking place one Sunday each month, too.
• Naja’s Place starts its LA Beer Week celebration with a Three Weavers and Friends Yacht Rock Party. Games and costumes are encouraged; starts at 6 p.m.
• Brouwerij West Brewery in San Pedro kicks off its Popfuji summer concert series with beers, bands and food trucks. This Sunday there’s three bands from San Pedro & Long Beach and beers are just $5. The event is free and the location is on E. 22nd St. This is the first of four this summer on the third Saturday of the month; the other dates are July 15; August 19 and Sept. 16.
SOUTH BAY BEACH CITEIS BAR & EVENTS NEWS
• Trump National Wine & Beer Festival tickets go on sale Tuesday! I don’t need to tell you veterans they sell out within a few hours. There’s a new way to get tickets this year so here’s that all-important link of what you need to know about it.
• The 6-Man is back on a Saturday! Seriously, the Manhattan Beach City Council unanimously approved this at last week’s meeting, and it’s effective this year!
• HBYC is now serving cocktails! Our local dive bar with the big schooners of beer and fantastic burgers and unique HBYC chips on the side has Bloody Mary’s and margaritas for $6 and martinis for $9. Do note these are 48 proof, not the 80 proof of spirits cocktails. HBYC also has a $5 blue cheese burgers Mondays & Thursdays and three beef or chicken tacos for $6 Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
• Abigale is hosting an open house, called a Summer Gathering, with complimentary food tastings on Wednesday, June 21. It goes from 4-7 p.m. It’s free but RSVP in advance here: www.eventbrite.com/o/abigaile-3234165788
• Tickets are now on sale for 310YP’s Walk With Sally Kickoff Party, which is Thursday, June 22, at Shade Hotel Redondo Beach. Tickets are $20. Link: donate.walkwithsally.org.
That’s it for the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report. For this and more, go to PubClub.com, Where The South Bay – Plus L.A., and the World – Goes To Party!
Twitter Party Chat: #PubClubChat