By Kevin Wilkerson, PubClub.com San Diego Nightlife Blogger
What a one-two combo we have in San Diego this weekend. It’s like Manny Machado and Fernando Tatís, Jr., hitting back-to-back in the fun times lineup.
With that in mind, here is a complete rundown of the biggest and most fun party events in San Diego this weekend, including Comic-Con and Del Mar Opening Day.
San Diego Comic-Con
Okay, so the actors and writers are on strike. That affects Comic-Con 2023 San Diego inside the Convention Center but not outside of it. Heck, just walk around the Gaslamp right now and you’ll see that Comic-Con is still a big party despite the Hollywood strikes.
Here’s a quick guide to Comic-Con for those who are not going into the convention:
• Hang out on lower Fifth Ave. The street is blocked off and the characters hang out primarily from the Gaslamp sign to Island. They love to pose for pics!
• Be on the lookout for free pop-up places and activations. There’s one of these set up in the little plaza between the Gaslamp Quarter sign and the trolley stop and be alert to others in small areas of buildings along Fifth Ave. One is going into Happy Doe’s bar (Fifth between J & K streets) tho as of this writing I’m not sure if it’s open to the public. Hey, it never hurts to ask!
• Go along the Embarcadero behind the Convention Center to the Marriott where you’ll see even more Comic-Con activities and activations. There are no concerts scheduled at the Randy Jacobs Shell, tho there are probably some private/corporate events. Remember it’s free to take it in along the sidewalk; just don’t treat it like you’re going to a picnic at the beach.
• Go into the bars. A lot of Comic-Con’ers hang out in the Gaslamp bars and several of those bars have their staff dress in costumes. One even has a special Comic-Con cocktail! Here’s a rundown of what some Gaslamp bars have going on during Comic-Con 2023.
• The Hard Rock Hotel pool party is Saturday. That makes things extra lively in the Gaslamp!
• The Padres are out of town this weekend (at Detroit and believe me, would rather be here). Game times are 3:40 on Friday, 3:10 on Saturday and 9 a.m., Sunday.
Del Mar Opening Day
Del Mar Opening Day is a San Diego summertime tradition and was once one of the finest, most fun scenes in the city for the entire year. Yes, I stated once. That’s because this year, GA tickets are sold out because they have cut capacity by more than half, forcing people to buy the more expensive box seats or club tickets. Still, it’s Del Mar Opening Day and that means it’s a social party scene.
OTL Second Weekend
The unique Over-The-Line tournament on Fiesta Island has its second and final weekend on Saturday and Sunday. The annual second-Saturday highlight is the Miss Emerson contest in the afternoon.
Upcoming San Diego Nightlife Events
Here’s a rundown of upcoming San Diego events relating to bars and nightlife
• NOVO Brazil Brewing Company Anniversary Party, July 29
There’s a party at NOVO Brazil Brewing Company in Chula Vista, which is celebrating its ninth anniversary. The event is at its Lane Avenue brewery in Chula Vista and runs from 5-9 p.m. The outdoor event is free and features food from Tijuana’s Tortas WashMobile and music from Latin band Cuband4ever.. The Padres home game against the Texas Rangers will be shown on the brewery’s 15-foot LED screen; first pitch is at 5:40 p.m.
So take note that this is a “family-friendly” event.
• Tiki Oasis San Diego
The original and still the biggest and best Polynesian festival in all of America (perhaps even the world!) is back. Tiki Oasis San Diego 2023 is the first weekend of August. Here’s all the deets!
Tiki Oasis Returns To San Diego; Here Are The 2023 Dates & Details And Tickets Information (pubclub.com)