Santa Anita Beer & Wine Festivals, Shari Puorto Live Music Shows & LA Bar Scene
By Kevin Wilkerson PubClub.com Blogger
Welcome to the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report – 2017 First Edition!
Happy Hew Year! Hope everyone had a great holiday season and a wild new year. And now it’s time to roll into 2017 and the Party Report will help keep the party going into January!
The Party Report is brought to you by Kona Brewing Company so be sure and stock up at home or drink it in the bars for the upcoming NFL Playoff games and Monday’s National Championship game between Alabama and Clemson!
THE PUBCLUB.COM TWITTER CHAT A HUGE SUCCESS
The debut of #TheNightlifeChat, the only Twitter chat devoted to bars & nightlife (and the associated lifestyle of course) was a huge success. It resulted in 1.2 million impressions on Twitter! Needless, to say this made me very pleased and proud of the accomplishment. I’m excited to build it to even more impressions in the future. The next chat is Thursday, Jan. 12, at 4 p.m. To participate, type in the hashtag at the designated time and join the conversation!
JANUARY 7-8 WEEKEND A MEECA OF MUSIC IN THE SOUTH BAY
Saturday is the first-Saturday-of-the-month regular gig for Barley at the Lighthouse. It’s 4-8 and there’s no cover. After their final encore, then head to Standing Room where Joe’s Band is playing Saturday night from 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
On Sunday, it’s Elvis Presley’s birthday. And Saint Rocke is bringing in Graceband – the 12-piece replica of the Elvis Vegas shows – for a special performance. Here’s deets:
NFL PLAYOFF GAMES
Here’s the schedule:
Saturday, Jan. 7
– Oakland at Houston, 1:30 p.m. (ABC)
– Detroit at Seattle, 5:15 p.m., NBC. Seahawks fans at Hennessey’s & Hermosa Saloon and Backstage in Culver City.
• Sunday, Jan. 8
– Miami at Pittsburgh, 10 a.m., CBS. Steelers fans at McColgan’s in Hermosa.
– NY Giants at Green Bay, 1:30 p.m., FOX. Green Bay fans at Underground Pub in Hermosa.
SANTA ANITA PARK EVENTS
The Los Angeles horse racing track is running now and the best time to go is when it’s having one of its drinking events! There’s two in January, a burgers & beers event on January 14 and a wine festival on the 28th. The latter is the Million Dollar Sunshine Stakes, the biggest payday of the winter season. Here’s ticket prices & details:
SHARI P’S UPCOMING SHOWS IN HERMOSA & AT LEGENDARY VENUES
Shari “El” Puorto is the Party Report’s special guest this week, and she’s got a bunch of shows in Southern California this month so there’s no excuse for not getting out and seeing her and her awesome band! One of her new songs, by the way, “My Obsession.” has been pre-nominated for a Grammy. So be sure and see her before she gets so big and famous we’re paying big bucks for her at places like Staples Center, right!?
Here’s her shows:
• Friday, Jan 13 – The Coach House, San Juan Capistrano. This is at one of the legendary music venues along the California coast. Tip: Stop at the Swallow’s Inn for a few pre-show drinks.
• Jan 19 – Saint Rocke, Hermosa
• Jan 26 – The Blue Guitar, South Pasadena
• Jan 27 – The Standing Room Hermosa
• Feb. 11 – Don The Beachcomber, Huntington Beach. Don the Beachcomber is the original tiki bar in America. When it was in Hollywood it attracted the likes of Howard Hughes and Charlie Chaplin. Now it’s on PCH in Huntington Beach. Donn Beach also claims to have created the Mai Tai, tho that’s been disputed by Vic Bergeron, founder of Trader Vic’s.
TOWER 12 & POLAR BEAR BEACH VOLLEYBALL
There’s no set date for the opening of Tower 12, the beach lounge bar going into the old Fenner’s location. Rest assured that PubClub.com and the Party Report will be sure you know when you can lounge in this bar…In the South Bay, we can’t go too long without a beach volleyball tournament and the Sixth Annual Polar Bear tournament is Saturday, Jan. 28. Sign up here (or just go and watch it):
That’s it for the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report. For this and more, go to PubClub.com, Where The South Bay – And The World! – Goes To Party!
Where The World Goes to Party!
Twitter: @pubclub, @barblogger
Twitter Chat: #TheNightlifeChat (Thursdays, 4 p.m. PT)