Top Things To Do In L.A.: Happy Hours, Live Music & A Splash In The Local Mountains
By Kevin Wilkerson, PubClub.com Nightlife Blogger
Welcome to the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report – May 19-21 Edition
The Party Report is brought to you by Kona Brewing Company, makers of that excellent beer you enjoyed at last weekend’s Beach Cities Beer & Wine Festival!
BEACH CITIES BEER & WINE FESTIVAL REVIEW
Wow, what a fun event! I had a blast and I certainly was not the only one, not by any means. This event was spectacular with all the beer and wine you could possibly drink in four hours (some people put this to the test, haha), and an awesome fun-loving crowd of about 700 people. Here’s a review with photos and even a video with a hilarious ending you’ve GOT check out!:
Better yet, I hear the Leadership Hermosa event was great, too, so it’s good to know the South Bay can support two such events on the same day at pretty much the same time. Way to get out there and party!
SMACKFEST 2017 REGISTRATION OPEN
Another fun event by Smackfest Events is just around the corner. It’s the signature event, Smackfest on June 17 and signups are now underway; in fact, several teams signed up the first day. The early birds get the best courts!
WEEKEND EVENTS RUNDOWN – THURSDAY: SOUTH BAY JAM
This is a free event at Standing Room in which local musicians (Barclay Roach, Tatiana and others) well, just jam. If you like music, you’ll love South Bay Jam!
FRIDAY: THE HERMOSA HAPPY HOUR HOP
Someone told me at the beer festival that PubClub needs more Happy Hour information. Well, I said, I just published this article on a Friday “Happy Hour hop” you can do in Hermosa that will have you happy from 3 o’clock until past the last Happy Hour ends at 9. What would be fun is if we did a group HH Hop; let’s work on it!
SATURDAY: SOUTH BAY SOUNDS & THE VENICE SPRING FLING
• Angry Donkey is at Standing Room and the Pine Mountain Logs are at Saint Rocke. For the latter, tickets are $22 if you can find them; the website says it’s sold out.
• Saturday is also the KROQ Weenie Roast at the Stub Hub Center. Tickets are $55-175.http://kroq.cbslocal.com/weenie-roast-y-fiesta-2017/
• If you’re feeling a little hippie-ish in the afternoon, then bike up to Venice Beach for the seventh annual Venice Spring Fling. It’s a series of bands playing between the walkway and the bike path plus art. And it’s free! 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m., at Windward Plaza Park.
• Radio Hill and 89.9 are putting on Skyline, an arts, beer and music festival held at L.A. State Historic Park in Chinatown. There are seven bands from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Food trucks are also on site. Tickets are $50 at: radiohill.frontgatetickets.com
SUNDAY: HOUSE OF BLUES GOSPEL BRUNCH & A POOL PARTY
For years, I had been told that I need to go to the Sunday Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues. Now, after going last Sunday to the HOB in Anaheim, I know why; it was spectacular, from the incredible Vegas-style buffet to the beautiful music. Here’s more with a review, details & pricing:
• Shade Redondo Beach opens up its rooftop pool deck for a day party from 1-7 p.m. $20.
• Tour de Pier; just putting this in here so you know about it, a bunch of people on stationary bikes on the Manhattan Beach Pier for charity. 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
LOCAL WEEKEND ROAD TRIP: DOHENY BLUES FESTIVAL
Right on the beach in Dana Point, this music festival on Saturday and Sunday has some 10,000 people in a festive atmosphere. Bands include Joe Walsh, Melissa Etheridge and Chris Isaak. Tickets are $75 and $140 for both days.
THIS WEEKEND ROAD TRIP SUGGESTION: BAY TO BREAKERS
Can they – or WILL they – really “crack down” on the alcohol at this event? Not according to some of PubClub’s sources. After all, this is the Mardi Gras of the West Coast (except no floats anymore), a fun, carefree event that started as a foot race but is really an expression of fun and partying in the streets and thru Golden Gate Park. After all, it’s the Summer of Love 50th Anniversary in “the City” and what better way to kick if off than B2B!?
Naturally, for such a big and fun event (75,000 people) PubClub has several articles about it, what it is and the lively scene you can get anywhere else in California.
FUN IN THE LA SUMMERTIME – IN THE MOUNTAINS
• WRIGHTWOOD ZIP LINE EVENT THIS WEEKEND
There’s a new company operating the zip lines at Mountain High, and Zip Lines at Pacific Crest in the San Gabriel Mountains is holding a free festival this weekend from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. It’s having music, food giveaways and 2-for-1s on tickets. Here’s more: https://ziplinespc.com/
• A SUMMERTIME SPLASH BLAST IN BIG BEAR
Big Bear is making a big splash this summer with a fun new attraction on the lake. Actually, to be more more accurate, it’s not Big Bear making the splash – it’s YOU! Read more about the Tarzan Boat:
• LAKE ARROWHEAD SUMMER CONCERT SERIES BANDS
The Lake Arrowhead Summer Concert Series, which are tribute bands playing Friday and Saturday nights, starts this weekend. It’s the Allman Brothers on Friday and Bruce Springsteen on Sat. Here’s the full lineup and an overview of the scene, crowd, etc.
That’s it for the PubClub.com Party Report. For this and more, go to PubClub.com, Where The South Bay – And The South Bay And L.A. – Goes To Party!
Twitter Chat: #TheNightlifeChat, Thursdays, 4:30 p.m. PT