Big Times in the Big Easy On Some Hot August Nights
New Orleans called and I answered.
The city is giving away a trip to the Big Easy this summer for Arena Bowl XXV. Airfare, three nights hotel on a weekend, dinner or Sunday brunch at Commander’s Palace (that’s where Emeril Lagasse kicked his cooking career up a notch), tickets to the Arena Bowl and two pre-event parties, are all part of the package.
Bourbon Street’s bars, Hurricanes at Pat O’Brien’s, a Bloody Mary at Coop’s, dinner at Napoleon House, buying beads in the French Quarter shops inspired by Zydeco music and a late-night appearance at the Krystal burger would also be part of my schedule if I were to win.
The contest, of course, is open to anyone. I just happen to have a particular fondness for New Orleans and whenever there’s an opportunity to go there, I jump on it like some do the beignets as Cafe du Monde (personally, I pass when it comes to eating sweets; you’re more likely to find me that time of day getting a muffaletta down the street at Central Grocery).
The weekend is Thursday, Aug. 9-Sunday, Aug. 12. Arena Bowl XXV is that Friday.
And while it’s no Super Bowl – that’s in New Orleans next February – the Arena Football League is high-speed football. Before there were spread offenses in the colleges, there was the AFL spreading the smaller field and scoring points as if it were a basketball game.
So while you may not know the game or even the teams, you’re likely to enjoy the show. It will be a hot time on hot August nights.
If you score this trip, this is what you get:
• Round-trip airfare for two
• 3 nights at the Sheraton, checking in Thursday, Aug 9 and checking out Sunday August 12.
• 2 tickets to the Arena Bowl Silver Anniversary Gala on Thursday, August 9.
• 2 tickets to the pre-game Commissioner’s Tailgate Party at the New Orleans Arena on Friday, August 10.
• 2 tickets to the Arena Bowl XXV championship game on Friday, August 10.
• Dinner or brunch at Commander’s Palace on Sunday, August 12.
To enter, go to the sweepstakes website.