50th Anniversary Dates, Tickets, Headliners & Locals Tips For Attending & Enjoying The Festival
It’s a huge event and as with anything, it’s important to know some important details and facts about it. Here is all you need to know about attending and enjoying this festival.
201y Summerfest Dates
Summerfest goes from June 28-July 2 and July 4-9. For years, it was not held on the 4th of July but this year it’s taking a break on the 3rd.
2017 Summerfest Lineup Highlights
Recognizing a current trend and in an attempt to draw in the younger audience, there is a huge focus on EDM music this year but the organizers like to point out that it’s “music for everyone.” Here is the daily rundown of headliners:
• June 28 – Red Hot Chili Peppers
• June 29 – Luke Bryan
• June 30 – Paul Simon
• July 1 – Zac Brown Band
• July 2 – Pink
• July 4 – Chainsmokers
• July 5 – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
• July 6 – Dierks Bentley
• July 7 – Future, Big Sean, Migos
• July 8 – Outlaw Music Festival
General admission is $20 on weekends, $13 weekdays. A three-day pass is $48. Commemorate 50th Anniversary tickets are $23. The Box Office is open 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m.- 1 p.m., Saturday. Because the grounds are so huge, it does not sell out, despite tens of thousands of people being at the event.
The festival takes place in a park right along the water. It’s Henry W. Maier Park. Click here for a map.
Getting To Summerfest
• Take the shuttles to the event ($6 R/T). There are 11 park-and-ride lots around town. Out of town visitors should stay in a downtown hotel; it’s within walking distance of the festival. Traffic is always backed up with tens of thousands of people going to Summerfest on a daily basis and it will be even worse in 2017 because of heavy construction downtown. A light rail line is being installed, among other projects, and avoid Broadway, which has a a majority of the construction barriers.
A Local’s Top Suggestions
• Summerfest veteran Luau Larry, who has covered the vent for PubClub.com on several occasions, top picks are the Lienie Lodge for beers and conversations and his favorite stage is the Potawatomi Bingo Casino Stage and Pavilion, located between the Leinie Lodge and the Sprecher brewery and catering to mostly blues/zydeco/rock.
The Biggest Summerfest Tips You Need To Know Before You Go
• No backpacks, beach/folding chairs. Umbrellas are allowed (and you may need them; keep reading about the weather forecast).
• There are in-out privileges; get a wristband at any entrance before exiting but only until 6:30 p.m., and no re-entry is allowed after 7 p.m.
• Take sunscreen and a long-sleeve shirt or jacket. While it’s summer, a sudden cool wind can blow in off the lake at night.
Summerfest 2017 Weather
• It’s not getting off to a great start with thundershowers predicted for Friday, Saturday and Monday. Otherwise, it’s partly cloudy to sunny. Temperatures are in the upper 70s and low 60s.
Summerfest 2017 Key Links