Manhattan Beach 6-Man Returns To Saturday Among Top L.A. Events
The return of the Charlie Saikley Manhattan Beach 6-man, the costumed, crazy and Southern California unique beach volleyball tournament, highlights this weekend’s activities and things to do in the South Bay and Los Angeles.
Actually, “return” of the 6-man isn’t complete accurate although it all but disappeared when it was moved from a Saturday and Sunday to the middle of the week. Now, for 2017, it returns to the weekend, with the second day being on a Saturday.
Details on this and other events are below, including the start of the summertime free concerts on the beach in Hermosa.
This Weekend’s Top Event: The Manhattan Beach 6-Man
The one-time wild open beach party event is back on a weekend (sort of anyway). Currently 75 teams are entered. That’s down from the heyday when there were 80 in the Men’s Open field alone and Saturday will not be anywhere near the event’s heyday when some 20,000 people filled the beach, team tents were on both sides of the beach for several blocks and house parties along The Strand were so good people are still talking about them to this day.
It was quite the scene. But hey, even though most of the teams play Friday, it’s still a scene to check out and the entire South Bay is excited again about the 6-man.
Playing again this year is Luke Walton. Yes, the LA Lakers coach. He’s on Team Soho. A few other local NBA players are signed up to play, as well.
The anti-alcohol security will be the same as last year, which means backpack checks and designated entry points, but no barricades on the beach.
Below you’ll see a rundown on what to expect each particular day of 6-man and be sure to click this link for everything you need to know about the 6-man.
Surfest – International Lifeguard Competition
The reason the 6-man exists is because of the International Surf Festival, also known as Surfest. This involves some 1,500 lifeguards from LA County and around the world taking part in various rescue competitions, as well as surfing and bodyboarding championships. To see what’s taking place, click the link below.
Thursday’s Top Events
• Santa Monica Concert At The Pier. The Santa Monica Twilight Concert, held at the pier, features Americana music with Valerie June and Irma Thomas.
• 310YP Monthly Mixer. It’x at Shade Hotel in Redondo Beach, 6-10 p.m. The event is free but they do ask you register in advance; click here. FYI, Happy Hour at Shade ends at 6 so get there a little early!
• -6-Man Team Tropic Thunder Team Pre-Party. Get primed up for 6-man by joining the Tropic Thunder team – made up of some of the South Bay’s most fun people – at the team pre-party. It’s at OBs, starting at 6:30 and there are food and drink specials.
Friday’s Top Events
• Manhattan Beach 6-Man. The first day of competition. This is when the recreational teams – formerly the “party teams” – play. Most don’t have a chance of advancing to Saturday’s play but they will be very good at advancing up to Shellback Tavern during, after and – in the case of some players – even during matches.
• Splash Night Fridays, W Hotel Rooftop, Hollywood. This weekly summertime rooftop party is awesome and it continues this Friday.
Link: Splash Night Fridays Review
Saturday’s Top Events
• Manhattan Beach 6-man. The good teams play the second day. The level of play is equivalent to that of the indoor volleyball you see in the Olympics. Plus, you can sit down on the beach and There might also be a few private parties at houses along The Strand (tip for strangers: be a hot girl in a bikini to be invited to those potential parties).
• Surfest. Some 1,500 lifeguards from around the world will be competing in this international competition staking place all day at the Manhattan & Hermosa Beach piers. Also Saturday in Hermosa, there’s a sidewalk sale with live music.
• Barley At Lighthouse. The cool California folk band Barley is doing its first-Saturday-of-the-month show at the Lighthouse Cafe. The time is 4-8. No cover.
• Joe’s Band At Standing Room. The South Bay’s traditional party band plays from 9:30-1 a.m., Earlier, a band called GrooveShine is on stage from 6-8. No cover.
• Sunday’s Top Events
• Surfest. Swimming and lifeguard competitions in Manhattan Beach at the pier and more competitions at the pier in Hermosa.
• Hermosa Beach Summer Concerts. Put out your beach towels, set up your (short) beach chairs, pack the picnic basket and/or cooler, and sit on the sand to enjoy this weekly . Afterward, the party people head to Patrick Molloy’s on the pier for its live music and $3-4 beers and drinks.To see what band are playing and what you can and cannot bring, click here.
• Polliwog Park Concerts, Manhattan Beach. At the same time as the show in Hermosa, neighboring city Manhattan Beach holds its concerts at a park (these are good but tend to have more families than Hermosa. To see what band is playing this week, click here.
Next Week: Bite At The Beach Manhattan Beach
• Tickets Still Available For Food & Craft Beer Festival. This local restaurant and craft beer event held at local TV and movie studio (James Cameron’s Avatar 2 was filmed here) is taking place next Saturday, Aug. 12. A few tickets are still available and if you go to the tickets page and put in the code ED, your local friendly real estate agent Ed McLaughlin is offering a 50% discount on the price.
That’s it for the PubClub.com South Bay Party Report! For this and more, go to PubClub.com, Where The South Bay – And The World! – Goes To Party!!!